How PH’s Hybrid Rice Companies Can Increase Their Sales – But Do Farmers Have To Spray All Those Pesticides!?

First, let me be clear: I am in favor of hybrid rice as a good part of the solution for the Philippines to attain rice self-sufficiency – I hope this year, 2021. I have already written about it; try “How Good Are Hybrid Rices In The Philippines[1]?” (06 January 2021, BraveNewWorld@PH)

Today, Sunday, 10 January 2021, browsing on Facebook, I notice that the hybrid rice companies in my country are not minding their own business! I mean, they are not actively assisting the farmers taking care of their plantings. I found that out when on Facebook, I scanned the page “Usapang Hybrid Rice” (Talking Hybrid Rice), “Group by Tatang Juan” (above, top image).

At this Facebook page, I read the entries and noticed that the farmers’ questions, answers and comments seemed innocent – but they were not. It has something to do with this:

The hybrid rice companies in the Philippines are not providing adequate advice and information to farmers. And that is not good – it may even be dangerous.

Here are some questions I selected from the unending list in Usapang Hybrid Rice (Taglish already translated):

(1)   What’s the best herbicide?

(2)   Please share the protocol for NK 5017 !!!

(3)   What can I spray after the first application of fertilizer?

(4)   I just wanted to share my experience.

(5)   Can I mix Bayluscide with Sofit? Please advice. Thanks.

(6)   How many days before I broadcast 0-0-60?

(7)   How many days before I fertilize after planting? And how many kilos of hybrid per hectare?

(8)   What’s a good fertilizer for first application?

(9)   What pesticide is good against black bugs?

(10)  What chemical do I use to encourage tillering?

(11)  What to spray after the first application of fertilizer?

(12)  Have you tried LongPing?

(13)  Can I use Fenale, and can I mix it with 2,4-D?

So many questions and so varied I just know that PH hybrid companies are not providing enough data and information to farmers to whom they sell their beloved rices.

(Can PhilRice be The Knowledge Provider? Asking for a friend.)

In the meantime, via Usapang Hybrid Rice, farmers can share experiences and/or ask questions – what about those who have no access to the Internet?

The hybrid companies are neglecting their consumers, and it’s their business!

This is the short list I have gathered of hybrid rices companies available in the Philippines: Advanta, Bayer, BioSeed, Corteva, LongPing, Monsanto, Pioneer, SeedWorks, SL Agritech, and Syngenta. If they continue to ignore the knowledge needs of their clients, should I simply dismiss it as, “It’s their own lookout. It’s their business!”

No Sir! It’s my business as a consumer – and communicator – to know, for instance, if my rice has pesticide residues in it. I thought 2,4-D was already banned in the Philippines? Bayluscide, Fenale, Sofit – what other chemicals may I find in my grain of hybrid rice?
(farmer spraying image
[2] from Canstockphoto.com)

Hybrid or inbred, I don’t want any pesticide residue in the rice I eat.@517

 



[1]https://bravenewworldph.blogspot.com/2021/01/how-good-are-hybrid-rices-in-philippines.html

[2]https://www.canstockphoto.com/farmers-spraying-pesticides-in-rice-28803066.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Leocadio Sebastian Is A Good Man – Why Do You Tie A Good Man Down?” – Asking For A Friend!” – Frank A Hilario

Knorr Of Big Business Unilever Thinks Big Business Regenerative Agriculture – My Tiny Country PH Also Should!

Ma'am Leni, Angat Buhay, Remembering Adam & Eve: Here Is How The Females Can Show The Males How To Take Very Good Care Of Their Garden Of Eden!